Welcome to Lou Gardiner's Bloggarooney.

Hello & Welcome!
This Blog is a personal record and an honest illustration of my life as a full time embroidery artist. I hope that you find it entertaining and inspiring.

ALL IMAGES
shown here are the Copyright of Louise Gardiner 2012.

Friday 23 July 2010

WOW

... is the word.


Did you know that NZ is a leading player in the imaginative world of Wearable Art?


Neither did I till today.  
There is a museum in Nelson called WOW where there is a small but impressive display of entries from the wearable art awards.   The Wearable Art Shows concept was created by artist Susie Moncrieff and originated in Nelson.  See the link....
http://www.wearableart.co.nz/wow-story/flash
I have been toying with the idea of making something wearable and wonderful ever since I exhibited at the Nantes 'Pour L'Armour' exhibition in Nantes, France where I saw the fantastic work of Michele Forest a Parisian textile artist.  That was in Nantes.  Did I say Nantes?  
I am also extremely inspired by Nick Cave's sound suits which are totally awesome, also pictured earlier in my blog ... and the surrounding work in the BEAD OR ALIVE exhibition that I caught in New York at MOMA, remember?   All of which were exhibited alongside a fellow student and friend from my MA degree at Manchester, Susie McMurray! Look at her work here -
http://www.susie-macmurray.co.uk/


She is the most successful artist I know and the loveliest of people and she lives in Cheshire where I am moving back to.


It would be extremely challenging to create something wearable but I am tinking along the lines of the Licky Lips Genie Liberty work I did.  I have zero dress making skills which is something I would like to put right on my return to the UK.  I feel I need to get back behind the drawing board maybe .... or collaborate with another artist...... but there is the Hand and Lock Competition and now this which I think is more my scene as the 'Hand and Lock' awards is predominantly hand embroidery.


I am hoping to catch the show and return to Wellington in very early October... watch this space....


What an abundance of creativity unfolding here... like the UK, New Zealand has some great art.  But unlike the UK it celebrates the CRAFTS and APPLIED ARTS with vigour.  
It seems to me that NZ is beginning to embrace this world, possibly slowly, but it is promoting textile innovation in a way I haven't seen in the UK.  Maybe thats something worth thinking about for my return....?  It seems to be listening to the public... and as I said Textiles is big busty business here.
Mmm food for thought.


GET ON WITH IT BRITAIN!!!!! 
DECRUSTIFY YOUR fusty vision 
and embrace CONTEMPORARY EMBROIDERY as it ROCKS THE HOUSE!!!
Lets invent some more awards and shows!  
THE STATES AND NZ ARE WELL AHEAD! 




Mmmmmmm...  






Anyway ... a new bed tonight in a lovely old house in Nelson.


And another group of eager beavers tomorrow.


Louisa G

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello!

I love to hear your comments and thanks for looking at my bloggerobbajob.
x

Louise :)

Hello and welcome to this bloggerobajob.